It might be surprising to know that most games on the market took several years to be completed. The success of the present game market now put more pressure on the developers than ever. It is not only the developers that plays the major roles in game development process, other disciplines also make their contributions too.
The initial stage of video game development is the brainstorming of the game ideas. The ideas are then brought to life by the programmers in the programming stage. Afterward, the video game is tested before being released to the market.
In summary, game developing process can be said to consist of four stages, viz: brainstorming the ideas, before-production, production, and after-production. For each of the development stages, there are dedicated group of individuals assigned to it.
- Brainstorming the ideas for the video game is the first important stage in game development. The ideas can be formed by the design group and then it is given to the decision makers for any necessary changes to be made. The game idea can be gotten from a previous published game or from real like circumstances. An instance of video game that its idea was gotten from real life circumstance Road Warriors. The idea was brainstorm in a traffic jam. The final process in this stage is provision of financial support for the development of the game.
- Once the idea brainstorming stage is conpleted, a more detailed document which is usually drafted by the chief designer is created. The chief designer with other groups has to decide if the available capital will be sufficient to complete the development of the game. If it will not be sufficient, then some modifications will have to take place in order to meet the prepared budget.
- Once the financial issue has been settled, it is time for the programmers to set in and begin their coding. The ideas designed in the first stage will be the blueprint for the programmers and they are expected not to deviate from the stated idea unless otherwise stated.
- The most crucial stage of any video game development is the production stage. This is where all the groups or teams come together to bring the gane to completion. This is the stage at which much money is being spent on the game. It's also the stage that requires the contribution of the experts. Every section or discipline work effortlessly in their department to ensure the success of the video game.
- The final stage of the game development before it is being released to the stores is the testing stage. Here the testers find out the bugs in the game code, if there be any, by playing the game. If any bugs are found, they are reported to the developers and they will have to fix the bugs. The process for checking for bugs and correcting them is known as Debugging. After the first correction, the game is given to the testers again to check if there still remain any bugs in the game. This is repeated until the game is free from bugs and ready to be released to the market. This is where the function of marketers or “game marketers” cannot be neglected. In order to make sales, the game must be well publicize.